Which J-1 visa to choose ?

The J-1 visa for an internship in the United States is divided into 3 Categories : Work & Travel, Intern, and Trainee.

With the help of the chart below, you can simply find the category that suits you most, puis demanderez gratuitement votre dossier d’inscription pour l’obtention du formulaire DS-2019 avec America Welcome. Warning, ces critères ne sont pas exhaustifs… Nous vous conseillons de vérifier en amont l’ensemble des critères d’éligibilité, pour vous et pour l’entreprise qui souhaite vous accueillir en stage.


Status Student Graduated since Not graduated
– then 12 months + then 12 months
Professional Experience (1) 12 month minimum. After graduation (2) None 5 years minimum. After graduation – then 5 years
Internship duration 2 to 4 months 2 to 12 months 2 to 12 months 2 to 18 months 2 to 18 months
Period of internship June to September. All year All year All year
Compensation $7,25/H or
Category Work & Travel Intern Intern and Trainee and Trainee

(1) In the same field or industry then your work experience in the USA. The list of supported domains is available on our website.

(2) All professional experience (after graduation) done in the USA can not be taken into account. Only work experience outside the U.S. will be effective.

Unfortunately you may not claim a J-1 Visa for this option.